Installing Categories

Started by Dave, 26.03.2021, 07:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Before you can complete the walkthrough below you need to install the Quiz.

The following is a walkthrough on how to install 'Categories' the same as they are on this site. If you have access to cPanel or similar for your site this is the quickest and easiest way to add the categories.

It's advisable to download and install the 'Quiz Images' here before you follow these steps.
You will also need to download the category table from here

Before you do anything make a backup of your forum files and database.

Go to your sites cPanel and access your database tables (don't forget to back up the database) look for 'smf_quiz_category' table. (NOTE: the prefix for your tables might be different to what I show here if it is then you will need to change the prefix in the tables text to be the same as yours)

Click on it so it shows the following columns "id_category-id_parent-name-description-updated-image quiz_count", there should be nothing below these columns at present. (I use PhpMyAdmin in my cPanel to do this, yours might be different).

You cannot view this attachment.

On your PC go to the folder where you downloaded the 'Quiz Category table.txt' open the file with NotePad++ select all and copy everything (if you don't have Notepad++ it's a free download from "https://notepad-plus-plus.org/downloads/" there are no hidden pups in it and it's virus free)

Go back to your forum database where the quiz has been installed. Click on 'SQL'. Now add the text, using 'Ctrl+v', from Notepad++ copied table into the box provided, then click on 'Go' to run the query...this should add the 'smf_quiz_category' columns to the table to your database. (Remember to change the prefix if necessary)

If you've done all that then the categories table should now be populated and look like the image below.

Now you can move on to install the quizzes.

The reason for doing the categories first is when you come to install the quizzes from this site they will automatically go into the categories you've just added.

Tell your family and friends about us, let's try and build a bigger community